Wednesday, September 3, 2008

And he cooks too

Joseph is handsome and kind, it's evident to all who meet him. Most also know that he is funny, super-athletic and smart. Very few people actually know how awesomely multi-talented and wonderful he is though.

Some examples:
*He always helps me put clean sheets on the bed, because he says he fluffs the feather mattress better than I do (he does).
*He loves to come to the grocery store to keep me company
*He sees girly movies at the theater if I ask him really nicely
*He goes on ice cream and candy runs late at night
*Occaisonally, I can drag him on a walk with me and the dogs if it's late enough in the evening, but usually I go alone and come home to an ethusiasitc, "how was your walk/run!?"
*He listens to all the blabber my brain spins out, which is sometimes really random and I'm sure quite boring
*He scratches my back while I'm falling asleep
*He brings champagne home sometimes and tries to sneak in into the fridge without me seeing so he can wake me up the "best Sunday way", with a surprise champagne cork popping.
*He waters my plants when I ask him to, and there's alot of plants to water
*He carries everything heavy
*He mops the floor so I don't have to

Natuarally, I do the great majority of the cooking in our house, he is always helpful, but usually assuming the sous chef roll. It isn't very often that Joseph gets to fully utilize his secret culinary talents.

Tonight I came home from my first Tuesday at 909. It's been a really long time since I went to work while Joseph stayed home and I wasn't excited about it. The night was slow and I got to talk about menus and take home some sour dough starter, so I didn't mind altogether. I was delighted when I walked in the front door to find...

Joseph in the kitchen making dinner. He was making stir fry and rice. The stir fry was delicious, with onion, garlic, fresh ginger, carrots, squash, green beans and chicken in a really spicy hoisin/soy sauce. I should let him cook for me more often.




I didn't want to do a whole other entry just about food, but our dinner on Monday was way too good not to be documented. It was one for our record books, for sure. And my, what that book would look like if we actually kept one!! (We used to, when we first started dating and did all that kissy-cooking and were totally into each other like mad, we had a spiral notebook that we kept in the kitchen and Joseph would write down everything we made, the recipes and step by step how I made it. We also used that book to come up with things we wanted to make. I wonder where that book is and I miss having that much time!)

Monday we spent the afternoon in Burnet. Joseph played two rounds of disc golf and I ran 2 miles and then read for an hour in the shade until he was done. We got home and having skipped breakfast and lunch (wow, so unhealthy, I did snack on almonds while reading) we were starving and ate dinner hours earlier than normal. Maybe being so hungry had to do with us both devouring dinner so enthusiastically. It was nice, being done with dinner early, but also getting to bed early.


cheese and grapes
casesar salad boats
Duvel for Joseph, Paulaner Hefe Weizen for Amy


grilled new york strip (which Joseph grilled, he's always the griller)
smashed tomato & butter sauce
scalloped potatoes
grilled asparagus
crusty french bread
2002 Matanzas Creek Cabernet






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The food, as usual, looks awesome and is making me hungry. So glad Joseph is in your life (and ours, too).