Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Armadillo

We had an incident so strange in our front yard last night that I thought I must share it. I wish I had had my camera with me, because my words certainly won't be able to fully capture the freakishness.

We got home late in the evening after a day of relaxing and shopping at Costco (our first time, we fell in LOVE!) in Austin. (We relaxed elsewhere, not at Costco, we didn't like it that much) We decided to let the dogs out of the backyard, for a change of scenery, and have them hang out with us in the front yard for a few minutes. Joseph was trying to get them to play with each other, which doesn't happen often, much to Cooper's dismay Marshall doesn't like to play. He was saying, "Go get him" to Marshall, when they both took off to get something. It was dark and we couldn't see, but the dogs had run across the driveway to the side yard and had caught/cornered something. We have a nest of horny toads next to our garage(they're endangered, Marshall has killed at least 10, they look like little lizards but way more dinosaur-like than cute geckos, they don't bother anything, really) so we assumed that's what they were chasing.

Joseph was standing on the driveway trying to get them to leave whatever it was alone and come back to the front yard. Then... (I was sitting on the front porch and caught the whole thing) Joseph yelled "What the hell is that?" as an armadillo ran over his bare feet, jumped up and hit the bumper of the car and waddled cluelessly in a circle in the driveway for a second until the dogs figured out where he was. I yelled, "It's a freaking ARMADILLO!" just as Cooper bolted after him in his rather pathetic attempt, on the armadillo's part, at getting away. Cooper is a nice boy, so we didn't have any armadillo deaths in our yard last night.

Who in the world, except for Joseph now, can say they've been run over by an Armadillo in their own front yard?

By the way, even up close and scared, there is absolutely not one cute thing about an armadillo.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never seen an armadillo and if it wasn't for the Texas Tea slot game, wouldn't have a clue as to what one looked like. Glad Cooper didn't catch it.

AJsGirls said...

Ahhhhhhhh! For two reasons 1. Just you talking about an Armadillo makes my skin literally crawl and my dinner want to come up. 2. And more importantly can you now see why I loooooooooove Costco!? I would be perfectly happy to relax in some of their amazing backyard furniture, snack on ravioli samples and people watch. Debra thinks I need a Costco 12 step program.

Amy Higley said...

Yes, I understand your love affair with Costco. I'm sad for us that we've been wasting our time at sucky Sam's Club. Who knew I was missing out on the culinary/homelife mecca and social gathering spot I've been dreaming of. Seriously though, I asked the people at work and both the waiters sound just like you and raved about it as if they were being paid. Then we went on Monday we saw one of them there in the cheese aisle. Too funny! I love the fruit and meat the most. And books. I didn't try any samples, I hear that's the best part. Next weekend. :)