Tuesday, September 30, 2008

kick ass chicken

Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Dinner last night was A-MAZ-ING! I know I've said that many times with other food posts, but when it's true, it's true.

Mustard Grilled Chicken

I made a marinade out of toasted herbs and seeds (oregano, basil, parsley, mustard seed, cumin seed) combined with lemon juice, ground dijon mustard and olive oil. I used a whole chicken, which I cut the back-bone out of and then cut in half, giving me two pieces, each with a drumstick, thigh, breast & wing. A whole chicken is usually about $1 a pound, around here anyway, so it's economical and amazing!

To go with the grilled chicken I made a pan sauce with the drippings. Um, holy crap! Joseph said it was "the best sauce I've ever tasted on anything", and I agree. After the chicken came off the grill, we finished it in the oven. Then I used that pan with all the grill and chicken gunk and juices in it, sauteed onions and garlic in a bit of butter, deglazed with white wine, then added reduced beef stock, milk and butter.

Buttered Spaetzle

Oh My GOODNESS! I love spaetzle. I have to make spaetzle every week at Cafe 909, so I got some good practice there before making it at home. It's not hard at all, and after you do it once, the technique is simple. I made the dough on Sunday so it could rest overnight. I don't have a spaetzle press (never seen one actually) so Joseph and I came up with an old fryer basket, which worked perfectly. It's just a matter of pressing the dough through whatever holed thing you've got into salted boiling water. It takes about 2 minutes for the spaetzle to start floating, then it's done. Before serving, I toasted it with butter and bread crumbs. We also had ginger glazed carrots.


1 comment:

Kate said...

Yummy. When are you coming back to cook for us, er, I mean visit?