Saturday, November 8, 2008

Kick Ass Baked Beans

I have to start by saying that for the first 20-some-odd-years of my life, I did not like beans at all. Something about the inside texture really turned me off. Joseph loves beans, and once we got together and I set out on my quest to know how to cook everything well, I have made so much progress with my bean cooking ability.

I had two ham hocks from 909 that I needed to use, that's what prompted me to make beans in the first place. And beans in a skillet over a campfire would make Joseph SO HAPPY! So, this is what I came up with.

One pound bag navy beans soaked overnight, then drained. You can use any kind of bean, or combo of beans that you want. And this recipe is just how I happened to make them this time. I don't write recipes down, unless it was extra delicious or to post it on here. My cooking varies all the time and I am able to incorporate pretty much anything I have laying around into something great. Knowing what role each ingredient plays and what quality it brings or purpose it serves in your dish, the more clear the possibilities become in cooking. I am still working on my Food Network Star application video, in which I have to declare my "theme". I told Joseph today, I have no theme or gimmick. It's just me and this is how I cook. I use what I have and I make it awesome. I can teach people how to buy the proper ingredients to stock their pantries, how to improvise and have confidence in their ability to do so, and how to make simple things that are homemade, cost efficient and mostly healthy. I think baked beans falls into that category. Although, I cannot lead you astray, despite the title, these beans are at no time baked.

In the bottom of a hot pot saute 4 slices chopped bacon. (I used pancetta, which I also had from 909, but I doubt anyone has that laying around, and bacon serves the same purpose.) Once the bacon has rendered some fat, add 1 tsp oil, half 1 chopped onion, 4 cloves minced garlic, two stalks celery chopped, one green pepper chopped, and saute about 10 minutes. Add one can diced tomatoes, beans, 2 bay leaves, 1 or 2 ham hocks, 1 T(ablespoon) paprika, 1 T chili powder, 1 T cumin, 1 t(easpoon) cumin seed, 1 t red chili flakes, one dried anaheim pepper, 1/4 cup bbq sauce, 2 t molasses and 6 cups hot water. Bring to a simmer, set heat on medium low and cook uncovered for 4 to 8 hours. The longer you're going to cook it, the lower the temp should be and you may have to add more water. I cooked mine for 10 hours and it was really thick and hearty. Season with salt at the end.

I also made corn bread muffins. I added a cup of bacon & corn chowder leftover from Tuesday to the batter and used bacon fat instead of oil. I also used coarse ground corn meal, instead of the fine stuff in the cardboard container. They were like corn-crack. Bacony corn-crack. I could sell them for $10 each just by letting people smell them right out of the oven. I will only be enjoying one of these calorie bombs, Joseph will eat the rest this weekend by the fire.