Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Banana-Berry Cream Pie

I made pretty incredible pie this afternoon. I had some bananas that were starting to brown so I needed to use them. I had nothing to do this afternoon, except take the recycling tp the recycling center, which is my very least favorite chore on earth. I avoided doing that by making up a new pie. Joseph said he wanted a banana cream pie with Vanilla Wafer crust. I had been leaning toward making a banana cake because I had cooked down a bag of frozen berries from 909 (thanks, again for all the goods!) that would be an awesome filling between layers. But then I found some stale butterscotch brownies that I had frozen a few months ago. I saved then after they were stale because I knew they would make a primo pie crust one day. Today's the day, and I decided to blend the berries and then swirl them into the banana cream. I rule. Here's my creation, using brown bananas, hand-me-down frozen berries and stale brownies:

Banana Berry Cream Pie with Butterscotch Crust

I am really working hard on my Food Network Star application video. I don't want to look like an ass, which I feel I do on camera, so I am practicing a lot. The original deadline for applicants was October 20, which I missed. Apparently, they didn't find the one they want because they've extended the deadline until December 1. When I daydream I pretend like I'll get the call the day after I send in my video: "Amy, you're the one we've been waiting for!" I don't like to even entertain the idea, because I hate to be disappointed. I don't even know if I could host a tv show, I'm kind of a gooberish klutz, but I have a ton of experience and knowledge to share and I absolutely love everything about cooking. I don't want to regret not at least applying, so that's that.

In an effort to prepare myself for pretend my new show, I did something I usually do not do, which is take pictures as I cook. I just take pictures of the end result. But today, I took a few pictures of the steps to making my Banana Berry Cream Pie.
Strawberries, blueberries & raspberries cooking down with just a sprinkle of sugar
Butterscotch brownies in cuisinart

Brownie crumbs, to be mixed with 1 tablespoon sugar and 4 tablespoons melted butter

I pureed 2 ripe bananas, which I added to basic vanilla cream filling.

Butterscotch brownie pie crust

Dessert!

1 comment:

AJsGirls said...

That looks seriously A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.