Monday, November 3, 2008

Dinner, thanks to Cafe 909

This is what I made for dinner Monday with some of the food I brought home from Cafe 909 on Friday.

Pear & Beet salad with homemade Ricotta

Grilled Tuna, Creamy Polenta, Wilted Escarole & Chickpea Putanesca, with balsamic reduction drizzle


I have been cooking most of the afternoon, getting ready for tomorrow night. I kept being amazed and and getting excited when I found ingredients today that I didn't have before Friday that I was able to use. I have a batch of sourdough rising, which I'm going to bake into little boules (round) to serve as mini sourdough soup bowls. I had forgotten that Mark gave me a huge bowl of yeast. HUGE, like yeast for bread baking for the next 2 years. Awesome!!! I made a big batch of corn chowder, with the two ziploc bags I brought home full of frozen corn that I myself had cut off the cob and blanched. It will be served in my mini bread bowls. Now I am going to make a batch of vanilla pudding, homemade not from the box. It is what I am using (my quick substitution for annoying-to-make pastry cream) to pipe into the center of giant chocolate cupcakes for tomorrow. I got a big cupcake pan yesterday, as well as mini bread loaves and a pan of mini bundt cakes. I got a Cuisinart hand-mixer, too. I have never had one, because I have always had my orange Kitchenaide and never needed one. But I bake a lot more now and it will really come in handy, and Joseph likes to lick the beaters because it makes him think of his mom. I also got a candy thermometer (for making cheese and candy) and pink tongs. That was just at the kitchen store.
For dessert we had:
Goat cheese cheesecake with spiced plum sauce

2006 Food & Wine Magazine Top 10 Best Restaurant Dishes of the Year
Frozen Pistachio Parfait with Burnt Honey Caramel

No comments: