Thursday, January 22, 2009

Un-sewing

I read all kinds of other people's blogs about their sewing projects. My sister recently got a sewing machine and quickly picked up sewing. I grew up wearing home-sewn clothes and watching my mother sew at the kitchen table on Monday nights with Lynn. I could cross-stitch when I was six and I am naturally gifted in all things domestic. I assumed it wouldn't take much for me to pick up sewing.

I had started to notice more than few seams, socks and buttons that needed to be fixed around our house, and even the fitted sheet of an 800 thread count set with a torn corner. I asked Mama Lisa for a starter sewing kit this past Christmas. Joseph made fun of me for asking for something so lame. She sent me a darling little pink and brown sewing bag with all the basic essentials inside.

Tonight I wondered from my closet to the laundry room for 15 minutes before settling on an outfit which would require me to sew a button to a pair of cute khaki pants for tomorrow. Fine, I have The Office and Kath & Kim on dvr to watch so I'll sit on the couch and sew this button on while I watch.

Wrong. It took me 10 minutes to thread the needle. Then I realized that the thread was the color of the pants and not the button. Start over. Close enough colored thread, button semi-affixed to pants, would make due until I had some patience, or more time. How does it look? Like the wrong button! A black button on a pair of khaki pants with greyish buttons. As Chelsea Handler would say, "What!....a moron." I will find a different pair of pants for tomorrow.

2 comments:

Kate said...

I love that you just quoted Chelsea Handler on your blog. Awesome. I give you an A for effort. And, wasn't The Office hysterical as usual?

AJsGirls said...

Sewing is just plain hard...something best started very young. You have to be very patient and exact. Baby blankets are easy but anything beyond makes me want to scream. One day...