Monday, January 19, 2009

And we're back!

Technical difficulties behind us, at least temporarily. Glad to be able to post about our awesome weekend! I got majorly lucky with my schedule at work... Sunday, Monday & Tuesday off!

Sunday we chose to celebrate our "anniversary" (year three down, onto year four) with a special date downtown. Dad & Robin sent us a gift card to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse for Christmas, so that's where we went. Thanks, again, it was excellent! We headed to Austin in the afternoon. First we stopped at Joseph's favorite brewhouse, Live Oak Hefeweisen with a lemon for me, Gulden Draak and Duvel for him, a cheese platter (that didn't even try to compete with one I'd serve at our house) and the sickest (that's a very good thing) hot pretzel covered with melted swiss cheese and sliced bratwurst. After a few hours on a leather couch at the Flying Saucer and a disappointing Philly/AZ game we headed to dinner.


It was awesome. We shared a bottle of Paul Hobbs Russian River Chardonnay while we enjoyed a Crab-tini and Ruth's Chopped Salad. With our steaks, petite Filet for me and Cowboy Ribeye for him, we had another bottle from the Russian River, Belle Gloss Pinot Noir. We toasted twice, naturally, once to a good three years and once to actually taking the trip we've been planning to wine country, to finally see the Russian River Valley with our own eyes and tour the vineyards we love most. The service was impeccable, which makes a major difference to us. For dessert we had a molten chocolate cake. Mmm. I slept the whole way home, thanks to Joseph for always getting us home safely.

Today we are going to try to get some housework done and finish up rearranging our living room. Tonight I'm making pork Orloff (basically stroganoff) for dinner, a request from JHig. He even asked me to include the mushrooms, if I cut them really small. No problem, I'm so impressed with his expanding palate. When I met him he wouldn't even allow a mushroom in the kitchen and he hated onions. He's come a really long way! After dinner we've got lots of new dvr'd tv to watch!! What a peaceful day. Our life is pretty sweet, I love it.

Except for two things... first, you see that pretty scarf I'm wearing. I got it for Christmas and was super excited to wear it for the first time. I got a few compliments on it too. Anyone who wants it can have it, it gave me an itchy rash all over my chest and chin. You've got to be kidding me!
Second, as Kate mentioned, our oven is broken. The stovetop still works but the heating element inside the oven is shot. This sucks very much because the oven in our kitchen is not a standard oven and the kitchen was built around it. Yes, in order to replace the oven there has to be construction done to the counter and cabinets. With our landlords in Colorado, things like this tend to take a w h i l e.

Tomorrow I'm getting a mani/pedi and then meeting my friend Susan for lunch, a little bangs trim and some OBAMA celebration! That should make me feel better.

No comments: