Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Korean Dinner

I had planned to make this dinner before I left for Florida, but never got around to it. I got up early (11:30) on Monday and prepped all the veggies, minced garlic & ginger, which I used a ton of, and a crazy toasted sesame seed/ginger/soy dipping sauce. Then we went to see a movie, for a lack of anything better to do on a cloudy disgusting August day. We should have just stayed home and watched power lifting and canoeing on the Olympics, which would have been far less mind-numbing than the shiteous (thanks, Perez) movie we saw, Pineapple Express. After the movie, we came home and threw this fiest together together. We ate on the couch while watching the tiny little US men gymnasts try to compete with China and Michael Phelps own the pool. Having dvr makes the Olympics much more pleasurable. We can only tolerate so many sad orphan human interest stories between races, and now we don't have to.

Marinated Cucumbers

Edamame (not much cooking involved, but I'll take credit for the perfect salting)

Mirin Potatoes (made these without a recipe. have tasted potatoes like this at Korea House and knew only that they were potatoes cooked in mirin. Mirin is a sweet rice wine, which makes the potatoes very sweet and delicious. cooked them briefly in a bit of peanut oil, then added enough mirin to cover a flat layer of potatoes in the pan. simmered for about 30 minutes. half way through, added few splashes of soy sauce. they were pretty close to what I was aiming for, mmm!)

Hawaiian Fried Rice (carrot, celery, onion, scallion, peas, ginger, garlic, napa cabbage, egg, ham, pineapple, diced shrimp and jasmine rice ... this is my take on Hawaiian fried rice anyway)

BBQ Korean Beef (we used New York Strip. Joseph sliced it super thin while it was semi-frozen. marinated for 45 minutes, then grilled very hot. D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S!)

Eggrolls (kickass!!!!)

Glass Noodles with Veggies & Shrimp

My first Korean attempt was a success. Not completely authentic, but Amy-licious, for certain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It doesn't matter what time it is, when I see your food pictures, I get so hungry!