Sunday, August 24, 2008

Fitness?

I think it is our own mortality setting in, as we approach 30 and 35 respectively, that has prompted Joseph and me both to start making an effort to be and stay fit. Healthy, more-so than fit, but with fitness comes health, so either way. Neither of us were particularly unhealthy (Joseph's metabolism of a 15-year-old-trackstar would keep him thin no matter what) but our eating habits (late at night, processed and fast food for him) definitely needed a tuning up. We weren't exercising much either.

This spring Joseph discovered and became OBSESSED with disc golf. He's been playing all through the spring and summer, 3-10 hours at a time, one or two times a week. Each time he plays he will potentially lose between 5-8 pounds, depending on the heat. He gets completely exhausted out there shirtless in the sun, goes through liters of water and plays as hard as he can for as long as he can. It's made a huge difference in his arms, chest and stomach. His dark tan muscular shoulders are so very attractive.

I have been running since January. It started off kinda rough for me, never having been a runner ever. I actually doubted that I could run, like, at all. I had always walked my dogs several miles a week, but running was something I left up to "skinny people". So, it took a lot of not stopping when I wanted to stop, but I have jogged my way into fairly decent shape. I comfortably run 2 miles at a time, 2 to 4 times a week. I aim for 8 miles a week, sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. I like to take the dogs, and used to before I got [fast]er than them. Now I have to run by myself and walk them later. I am also going to start.... SWIMMING! I have always loved to swim, and this week I decided that if I started swimming after running, I would tone up my whole body much faster than just running. So, the rec center where Joseph disc golfs during the week and I run laps (then read in the shade until he's done, and then we eat the picnic I brought) also has an indoor lap pool. For a very reasonable fee, I could opt to swim laps instead of read on a bench. I have lost a few pounds, but more than a big change on the scale, I have noticed a change physically and in energy level. I also feel very physically capable, something I did not feel, but did not miss, before. I appreciate it now and will not ever take it for granted. I think I have become a "runner".

Cheers to health and fitness everybody. Go get sweaty, you'll feel better.

No comments: