Sunday, October 12, 2008

Little Miss Baker

I also made a loaf of sourdough today. If you follow this blog regularly (and I think there are only 4 of you who do), you know that I have had some trouble with the sourdough bread baking. Not real trouble, just some growing pains and getting to know my sourdough starter. Tonight was my night, I GOT IT PERFECT! I adjusted the recipe slightly and the oven temp and baking time by a few degrees and minutes. And it came out so BADASS! Crusty on top, light and airy in the center, sourdough goodness all the way through! We enjoyed hot sourdough with our turkey cannelloni for dinner.

I also made a pineapple upside down cake. I make this dessert fairly often. It's easy and really delicious. I usually follow the recipe in the Joy of Cooking (my bible), only replacing yogurt for buttermilk. Tonight I followed the recipe in the Cake Bible (another gift from JHIG), which called for sour cream, which I replaced with low-fat vanilla yogurt. Lately, I have been trying to capture my own spin on the few recipes I do follow, in case I have to turn in the 30 original recipes that TNFNS calls for upon acceptance to the show. (Really, I know they aren't going to call, I'm just trying to be prepared in case) My recipe is lovely!!!

2 comments:

Kate said...

I love the pineapple upside down cake recipe in Joy of Cooking. I've made it a couple of times, but am not brave (or cooking-smart) enough to know about substituting.

Anonymous said...

The bread and the cake look wonderful. As usual, your photos make me hungry.