Sunday, October 19, 2008

Chili

I'm on a cold weather kick. It's finally gotten to feel like fall around here and our air conditioning has been off for a solid week, the longest stretch since March. It's been in the low 80s during the day and dipping into the 50s at night. I do occasionally feel slightly nostalgic for fall in Ohio... huge piles of leaves in the yard, crisp breeze blowing through the windows at night, apple orchards & pumpkin patches and giant pots of chili on the stove all day...


It was delicious, the best chili I've ever made, we think. Here's the recipe:

In 2 T olive oil saute for 10 minutes: one onion diced, two stalks celery diced & one carrot shredded.

Then, add one tablespoon of each: chili powder, paprika, blackening spice & cumin, as well as one teaspoon of cumin seed, cinnamon & black pepper. Allow this to toast on the bottom of pot, releasing the aroma of the spices quite a bit, about 5 minutes.

Next, add one pound of ground beef and one pound of diced stew meat. Season with kosher salt. Coat meat with spice mixture in pot and brown for several minutes. Add two bay leaves.

Add one small can tomato paste and one cup water. Stir to evenly coat. The add one can crushed tomatoes and two cups beef stock. Simmer one hour, or longer.

3 comments:

AJsGirls said...

At our church halloween night they always have a chili competition and I have been contemplating if I should enter. After the judges taste it, it gets added to the table with 100 other crock-pots full of who-knows-what....it looks too delicious to do that.

Anonymous said...

Hi Amy -- I'm going to try this recipe, it looks really good. After writing the whole thing down I Realized it doesn't have beans! Cool. Can't wait to try it, I've used the same recipe for years have never been wild about the results. I'll let you know how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Hi again - I made the chili the other night and it was good! Mine was soupier than yours (at least yours didn't look at all soupy in the photo) so I added one can of kidney beans for the heck of it. We had it with warm fresh corn bread and it was delicious. We both liked the stew meat. Thanks for the good idea!