Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Baby on Board

Joseph and I are very happy to share that we are expecting a little baby Higley in the spring. Just a few months into our marriage we are headed for our biggest and most important adventure yet: parenthood. To say that it's been a busy year is putting it quite mildly, and there's no slowing down in sight.


I first took a pregnancy test on July 12, after an icky-feeling day at work. I really didn't expect it to come back positive because it was 8pm, but I didn't want to wait til morning. Much to my surprise, a faint line showed up pretty quickly. Ummm, ok, that's interesting. Joseph was working, so I didn't say anything and went to bed. The next morning, which happened to be Friday, July 13, (I've written about Joseph's love of Friday the 13th and how he often experiences very good luck on those days, so it was very fitting) was Joseph's 37th birthday. I got up early, took 2 more tests, and then did the only thing I could think of... wrapped the tests up in a box. We both had to work that day so we had celebrated his birthday already and didn't plan on presents that day. I woke him up and told him I had one more present for him to open.


His reaction surprised me a little bit, as he wasn't surprised at all. He just smiled a big smile, and said "This is the best birthday present ever, I'll never forget this day." And then he told me he'd thought about it the week before and knew that I was going to be pregnant very soon. Since before our wedding people had been asking impatiently when we were going to have kids, so I guess I am the only one who was surprised that 10 weeks into marriage and without actually "trying", I'd turned up pregnant.

I have not felt well. At all. So it's been a couple rough, hot, tired months. I didn't imagine my first summer back in Texas to be like this, where I have stayed inside every single day, only bearing the heat to run to and from the car. Poor Cooper didn't expect it either, but despite being stuck inside and getting very little exercise, he's still as sweet and good as ever. Oh, and he's very excited to be a big brother. I'm just starting to feel much better and rather than totally opposed to most foods, as I was for a while, I'm gradually becoming hungry for everything. It's still miserably hot outside but I'm patiently waiting for cooler temperatures so Coop and I can get out for long walks. For now I'm staying inside, doing some yoga and reading, reading, reading.


Our families could not be happier or more supportive. Baby will have cousins close in age on both sides (extra close on the Marsh side, Mike and his wife are expecting a baby girl in February). We are lucky to have experienced mamas in both of our sisters and my mom who is an expert in all things pregnancy and baby. We are surrounded by love and support, despite being far away from everyone here in Texas.


Last week we had our first prenatal appointment with the midwives we'll be seeing. We'd had the appointment scheduled for several weeks and I was very anxious, as I knew we would get to hear the heartbeat for the first time on this visit. As I got ready that morning, I put on Dad's watch as I do every morning, but I also grabbed the bracelet my sister gave me for Christmas last year. It's a silver slip on cuff with the quote "I carry your heart with me" etched on it. On the inside are dad's initials "DHM". I had always kept it where I could see it in the bathroom, but had never actually worn it out of the house before. It seemed appropriate to wear Dad's heart with me to go hear baby's heart. If you knew my dad or have read much of what Kate and I have written since he died, you know that he loved and found great comfort, symbolism and beauty in rainbows. Since he got sick, we have seen rainbows at some of the most incredible moments and situations. So imagine my shock and overflowing emotion when, on our way to Austin to listen to our baby's heartbeat for the first time, on a completely rainless, sunny day in August, we looked up and saw this.


Baby Higley is due in March and we will be surprised and ultra eager to meet our son or daughter.



1 comment:

The Shopping Mama said...

YAY! You know I am beyond excited for you. Much love. XOXO